Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day 2011

My Grandmother and Grandfather




My Grandfather




Thomas (on left) and my Grandfather @ Thomas's grave in Epinal, France during WW2
************************************************************************************





As I reflect upon this day, I am reminded of my Grandfather. He served in WWII. Thankfully he survived all the fighting, however, his younger brother Thomas Garrison, did not. My Grandfather didn't really speak of his days fighting in WWII unless you asked and when you did, you could see the memories flash in his eyes. I wish now, I would have taken notes of all the stories he told when he was alive. Its hard for me to recall them now because I was a teenager and not all that interested in history. But now as an adult, it fascinates me. I can't even imagine the images he remembered and I can't even begin to image what it must have been like. All I know, is I am so thankful that he survived, otherwise I would not even be here. We just marked the 1 year anniversary of his passing earlier this month. He was a wonderful man, Father and Grandfather and I am so lucky to have been blessed w/ knowing him.

No comments: