Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Did I just really say that.....

So I was designated CFO for our family when Chad and I got married. I am not sure why but maybe it had something to do w/ my experience of working w/ my dad who is a CPA. I took over for my mom who was Office Manager/Secretary/Executive Asst or whatever else fancy word you want to call it. But she ran things in the office, assisted w/ my dad and put together tax returns. She also did the Company books. So when she had her bypass surgery in 1999 someone had to take her spot and my dad enlisted me. I was nervous but willing to take over the position. There wasn't much time for training or learning the ropes as my mom had her surgery in February and as most CPA's or Accounting people will tell you, thats in the middle of tax season... one of the worst times to have something like this happen. So I jumped right in and took over. I worked for my dad for 5 almost 6 happy years. I look back and truly miss working for him. :) But back to my story.

So w/ that experience, Chad designated me CFO and gave me control of our bills and all things financial. After all, he had been a bachelor for so long that now we were a "family" there isn't too much room for frivolous spending anymore. Buying swords on Ebay comes to mind as an example. Its a challenging job trying to juggle the bills and make sure there is enough for groceries, gas, misc spending, etc. But I do it. Some days I just want to hand over the ck book and say I'm done, you do it. But I don't. So alot of times, I will get an email in my inbox from Chad requesting to purchase an item. Usually these items are in the electronic family and a majority of the time there is a very good and reasonable explanation as to why we need and how this particular purchase will come in handy. I laugh every time I see these emails because I feel like the Accounts Payable dept and a request is waiting for approval from the boss, who in this case happens to be me as well. Sometimes there are phone calls but most of the time it comes in the form of an email.

While Chad was on deployment this last time, I received an email right around his birthday wanting to know if I had already purchased his birthday present. I knew what was going to be coming next. I responded w/ No but would be heading out soon to purchase it. His next reply was a request to purchase an Ipad w/ a very good explanation for why it would benefit our family. :) There were all sorts of apps to download... everything from cooking for me to educational for the kids. I will spare you all the other reasons other than to say that it would sort of take the place of a laptop that I have been wanting to get for a while. I mean he really had me sold. But I hesitated w/ my response as I knew how expensive these things are. I really didn't want to authorize this kind of purchase as we could have used the money for other things but I caved. After all, he really had me sold on it and he's cute! ;)

So I reluctantly authorized the purchase. Unfortunately I had to wait for him to return from deployment before I would get to use the darn thing. So when I finally got the chance I must say that it has been a wonderful investment! Oh my! Did I just really say that??!! I am actually glad he talked me into this Ipad. I have been able to view recipes in the kitchen while I cook. Troy has this Cars 2 app downloaded that he loves! We can even Skype and facebook on it. Pfsh....As if I have time for all that. LOL! So occasionally I guess there is room for frivolous spending.... as long as it benefits the family. ;)

Until next time.....

No comments: